Sunday, September 11, 2011

Hampton 5 Miler

Today was the Hampton 5 Miler. An increasingly popular race for runners that started 11 years ago by the Hampton River Runners, of which Sheila was a founding member. Grandma has done it for years, this was Jesse's 3rd year, and I finally decided to do it when I noticed the flyer said "Walkers Welcome". So I walked and came in 411th out of 420. But the big story here is Grandma. At 83, I think she was the oldest, and she never missed a step. I walked with her and her friend Elsie, and I gotta admit that I was a bit concerned for the first half mile if I was gonna be able to keep up with them. Here is a pic of Mom and Elsie at about mile 2.5.


And here is a pic of us at the finish line. Mom doesn't look any worse for wear here, looks like she could do 5 more. Sheila joined us for the pic, she had time to shower and change, but then she is a real runner. Jesse was off having a smoke.


 But speaking of Jesse, here he is before the race. He almost looks like a real runner in this pic. He and Marty ran together, after a rushed morning milking, and then rushed home to finish combining the barley. So maybe those other marathon runners had better times than us, but we completed our own marathon in the past 2 days, finishing haying, harvesting our grain, moving cows and new calves from pasture, and along with all the regular chores, we still got our run(or walk) in.


Thanks to Peter, I found some other pics that were available online, taken at Mile 1.  If you look behind Sally, you will see Jesse, HFC. And  Marty.

\
And here is our hero
A


No comments: